Thursday 17 September 2009

From forever endeavour to playful curiosity...


My daughters, playing with perspective...

T., my mentor, set me an interesting challenge. I have to take something routine and boring and approach it with playful curiousity. I have chosen to focus on the course set-up forms which are a necessary but hitherto uninspiring part of my work. Trust me, making a Norfolk County Council course set-up form interesting and fun is a tough gig!

Here's how I've done thus far. First of all, I did some head-scratching and a little bit of avoidance (funny how enticing the washing-up can become at such times!). Then I thought I'd break down the tasks and create a kind of visual 'learning ladder; ladder to learning', using an Excel spreadsheet with the stepped-up boxes coloured in. I'm not sure that this worked for me, so I stashed it away for another day and did some more head-scratching.

Next, I thought I'd try and transform the dry language of a course-set up form into a poem. What a smashing idea... until I tried to do it. I just got 'blank page syndrome' about this one... but I am determined that I'll transform this into play.

Moving on, I decided to copy each box I have to fill in on the course set-up form. I then imagined the steps as being part of a kind of Willy Wonker fantasy machine - except that, in this instance, we're making people-shaped learning. Thus, the category, 'Funding details', became translated as, "Giving it a funding code pulls a lever that pours water [cash] on acorns [learners] that makes mighty oaks/folks grow."

I'm not sure that this is going to be my final form of play, but what is interesting is the way that left-field approaches have already allowed me to imaginatively step outside the boxes and make it mine. I'm already seeing it differently; the routine has become strange - and if not yet wonderful, then definately better than before.

At the end of some particularly long and tedious acronym, jargon-ridden meetings I have been known to ask for the relevant form through which I can claim that part of my life back. Given that we have yet to conjure up such a miracle, I think it's much better to make the things we have to do interesting for ourselves, instead of going on, "forever endeavour" (as a mate of mine once put it!).

Finally, remember that what we're doing here is one of the Five Ways to Wellbeing, as described in my previous post. In this instance, it is the 'take notice' idea which I am experimenting with - actively extending one's curiosity. Remember, you are curious and extraordinary, so claim back your power and play.

<*((((><(

4 comments:

  1. Making any council form interesting is a gift!! have decided to tackle our application form.. hurrah..

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon

    Let me know how you get on with that. Stepping outside of the everyday can be enriching for sure.

    Colin
    <*((((><(

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the picture Colin!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trish

    Yeh, I love that one too!

    Live long and flourish ;-)

    Colin
    <*((((><(

    ReplyDelete